King of the Mountains

Run reports

King of the Mountains

Postby Bill L on Sun May 17, 2015 8:56 am

Around 650 people arrived in Alford for the King of the Mountains Sportive. It was really well organised and very enjoyable from start to finish. For me, it was probably one of the best sportives I have ridden. However, the very high winds meant that the organisers had been advised by the police to cut out the mountain sections. So It was kind of a paradox that the high mountains were deleted from the King of the Mountains.I can see that those raiders looking for a big challenge would have been disappointed but for me it was a significant effort. It was the most friendly Saturday morning I had spent For a long while. People spoke to me constantly in the event village and as we rode round the course.Cooperation in the groups was terrific with encouragement/marshalling from the Deeside Thistle boys.
The wind was significant and one strong rider commented that there was no hiding from the wind. The nearly fell off his bike laughing when I told him "no wind for me".Soup and bread at the end was most welcome. I didn't see any other Dundee Wheelers -- maybe some been put offBy the deletion of the climbs. There were still plenty of climbing for me and the wind made it tough on the front. In the end the 100 mle and 100 K groups were combinedAnd everyone did 110 k. I did it in 3.33 -- very pleased
Bill L

Return to Run Reports