Would I manage it

Anything else you want to discuss or know about

Would I manage it

Postby deferd on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi,I am sixty and recently bought myself a bike more to get fit and stay healthy than for anything else,I tend to cycle three or four hours at a time around the sidlaws or up to monikie doing a max of thirty or forty miles but it takes me a long time 3 hours or more.
I just don't have the strength I had when I was younger but thought the best way to improve is with a club.
Im attracted to cycling in a group because of the expertise and knowledge there will be within a club like yours so I pose this question.
Would I manage club cycling.
My hearing is poor so I have to be very wary of traffic I often don't hear vehicles until they are near enough passing me,I do plan to get a mirror but can't make up my mind if attachment to helmet or handlebars is best.
I see that you do tend to rotate when out cycling so poor hearing is a concern for me especially if it's windy.
Looking over my shoulder whilst keeping both hands on the bars is also problematic.
I'm sounding like an old croc here but I thought it best to point out my issues .
I run a bit usually 5 or 10k once or twice a week and do parkrun every Saturday morning and spin at the gym but it's a whole different thing on a road bike in a pack.
I'm keen and eager to learn but don't want to be a burden holding everyone up .
deferd

Re: Would I manage it

Postby gcarr2803 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:51 am

Hi
we do have a variety of runs throughout the week, with the main club runs on Saturday and Sunday and they are typically around the 50-60 mile mark - not sure if that would be too much for you just now?
There is an "unofficial" run on a Wednesday morning that meets a mile or so after Birkhill on the Newtyle road that usually goes to Dunkeld which tends to be a social cafe run pace.

You will move faster in a group than solo, the joys of drafting, but even the social runs will be around 15-16mpg average.

Not sure if this help and certainly don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, if you do have any more questions then let me know.

Graeme
gcarr2803
Site Admin

Return to General